No, this is not a how-to for scoring with the cute guy sitting across from you on the subway. Get it together, lady.
From time to time, we all get hit with the blues so hard that we don't want to fathom getting out of bed and starting the day. It happens to the best of us - it's hard to stay positive all the time, as much as we make the conscious effort to do so everyday. Below are a list of my favorite things to do when I'm feeling really down and in desperate need of a pick-me-up!


O1. Guilty Pleasures 

There is nothing that brings me more joy that snuggling up on the couch in my favorite holiday pajamas (no matter the time of year), sipping green tea, stuffing my face, and having a movie marathon. My go to line up of movies falls somewhere between classic Disney movies (The Prince of Egypt is a sure winner!), musicals, and the obvious chick flicks - Pretty Woman is a no brainer. I get lost within the singalongs and within minutes, I'm humming and belting off key. This remedy allows me to forget my troubles for a few hours and I suddenly feel 100x better! 


O2. Look good, feel good.

I don't know about you but when I look good on the outside, I can hardly find it within me to be a grouch. I love getting dolled up with my favorite beauty products and holy grail items, even if I have no where to go! I snap a selfie or two (or 20 because let's be honest, who takes 2 selfies?!) and post on Instagram (or your favorite social network) and I automatically feel that much better. The purpose of make up is to enhance a women's natural beauty and it is indeed the perfect accessory for gloomy days. 

Untitled #6
                                                              
O3. Celebrate your accomplishments 

Too often we get caught up in the whirlwind of life that we forget how far we have come and all the great things that we have had the opportunity to be apart of. We spend far too much time comparing ourselves to others and judging our goals based on others' successes which in turn leaves us feeling useless. What I find helps me a lot is making a list of all the wonderful things I've done - small or big! It could be anything from helping an elderly person cross the street and packing their groceries into their car or graduating from university with honors! There is no limit to the things that can be categorized as accomplishments, so long as they are positive and make you feel amazing. Count your blessings! 


O4. Dance Party for One!

How can one go wrong with music?! I love blasting my favorite playlist from my iTunes library or hitting shuffle on Shazam, my favorite music app on my iPhone. I like to believe that listening to your favorite music and having a solo dance party in your room (or around the whole house) helps your body to release natural endorphins that reduce stress and put you at ease. Imagine that, stress relief that doesn't require a doctor visit and an expensive prescription! 


O5. Phone a Friend (or Sibling)

Being a middle child, I love the company of other people. I always feel good when I'm in the presence of the human beings that I love, especially those that make me laugh. Whenever I'm feeling glum, I surround myself with people that bring out the best in me, that being my family (mom, brother, sister) or my close friends. These are the people that always know just what to say (or know not to say anything at all) to bring my spirits up. I'm eternally grateful for having such an amazing support circle. 



What are your favorite pick-me-up activities? 



Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Pin This Email This

Disclaimer

Unless otherwise stated, all images and content featured on A Dose of Jo belong to me, thus requiring permission and credit to be used. If you have any questions or general inquiries, please direct them to joannchizanga@gmail.com
Subscribe Via Email

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest updates to your inbox. ;-)

Your email address is safe with us!